Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Obsession with Lucite grows . . .

Took JT to the nearby Value Village and antique mall (next door to each other for thrifting heaven).  I found this gem at the antique mall . . .

I just couldn't resist it.  It fits perfectly in the kneespace of the desk that just migrated to the living room, which is perfect because it's a really small kneespace!! 

While this desk isn't completely and totally my style now, I don't know if I can ever part with it.  It was one of my first alley finds.  I was home from college on a break and went to visit a friend.  There the desk was, sitting out on the curb, waiting to become landfill fodder.  I came back with my parent's mini-van and brought it home to take up one of the coveted garage parking spots as I sanded off the green-yellow paint and refinished it.  My dad alternately cursed my name and helped me refit all the dovetail joints, nail on a new back piece and drill holes for the new hardware.  Now that my dad has passed away, this project always reminds me of him and our time spent together.  So it will probably always have a place in our home.  I know it will always have a place in my heart.
There's my dad, hand-drafting in the 70s.  I sure am glad we have AutoCAD these days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment